Tuesday, March 8, 2016

That Time of the Year

It's that time of year again. Baseball season is upon us.

My sons' start their first season of Jr. High baseball this afternoon, although as I write this post, I am listening to the rain pouring outside my window. So in all likelihood, their first game is going to be postponed and the season will actually start on Thursday.

Either way, I couldn't be more excited. Secretly, that is.

I will complain and moan to the other parents, to family, to friends and co-workers about the exhaustion...about the tedious schedule...about the cold/heat/rain/wind.

But deep down, in my heart of hearts, I love when my kids play baseball. Actually, I love when they play any sport. I love being at the field or in the gym. I don't necessarily sit with the other parents because I'm that mom. The "Yeller". I actually carry an enormous bag of suckers with me in the vain effort to stop myself from shouting.

However, keeping suckers in my mouth does little good. All I've managed to accomplish is make the younger siblings of the players happy by passing out candy, give myself a mouth full of cavities, and I still yell through 75 percent of the game.

I scream for every kid out there - whether they belong to me or not. I clap the loudest and the longest. I don't expect my kids to be the best players on the field/court. I just want them to try their hardest, to play their best, and hope they are able to contribute to the team....even if that contribution is only moral support for their teammates.

I love to watch all the kids play. See how they grow as players over the years, and how they come to together as a team as the season goes on.

Since this has been our first year of Jr. High sports, it has been an interesting transition. Football was an anxiety-riddled rollercoaster for me. My sons are not as big as some of the other kids in their class, and they are definitely not as big as some of the Freshman players they could have been facing.

But our coaches are very careful about playing similarly matched kids against each other.

Basketball was the same story.

My guess is baseball will be equally matched.

I am looking forward to this baseball season with secret glee. And my daughter's softball season this summer. And the boys' summer baseball season as well.

If anyone needs me, I'll be out at the field, sitting away from the other parents but still yelling my head off to the great embarrassment of my children.

Play ball!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment