Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Epic Mom Fail

So...epic mom fail today,

In the hectic craziness of returning from Spring Break, playing a double-header in baseball on Monday evening, and losing power most of the evening last night, it escaped my attention that my DD's 2nd grade class is having their Easter party TODAY!

I was under the misguided notion that the party would be Thursday, and didn't realize the kids also needed a basket with 6 candy-filled Easter eggs.


A note - which DD did not give me - went out on Monday saying their Easter party would be this afternoon.

I did ask Monday evening if she had any homework or notes, and was told, "no."

I failed to ask the same question last night as we scrounged in the dark for flashlights, and ways to keep 3 kids from being bored out of their minds while the power was being fixed.

And I should have asked again this morning if there was homework or notes we had missed, but I forgot.

So this morning after power had been restored and children were off to school for a day of learning and running around with their friends, I was sitting on my couch, sipping tea and planning out my day when my sister-in-law called. My nephew was having his Easter party today and she needed someone to go with him and his class to the park for their Easter egg hunt. Could I go?

Sure. I have part of the afternoon free. No problem. And I asked aloud, "I wonder if DD is having her party today? She never said anything."

My sister-in-law didn't know about the other classes. At this point I SHOULD have called the school and asked the question. But I thought, no...it will be fine. Maybe they were just doing the park trip a day early.

So 45 minutes go by and then I get a call on my cell phone from the school.

DD is in the office, bawling her eyes out. Their Easter party is today.

She has no Easter basket.

She has no Easter eggs.

She isn't going to get to hunt eggs with the rest of her class, and life as she knows it has ended.

The secretary is very awesome as she is gently explaining to me, and aside to DD, that the party isn't until the afternoon, so maybe Mom can come up with something before the party starts.

And thank God I am a pack rat. I have leftover plastic eggs from last year, plus their Easter baskets from last year collecting dust in my junk room. I tell the secretary to hang tight, I will be there in 15 minutes with a basket and candy-filled eggs!

After hauling it down to the grocery store to buy candy and fill the 6 required eggs, I rush to the school and hurry to the office to drop off the basket.

I ask if I need to take it to DD's classroom, and the secretary grins. "That's ok. I'll just put it over here with the others and take it to her classroom later."

So apparently I wasn't the only uninformed by their child/forgetful parent today. But I am ever so grateful to the people working at the school for being so awesome for our kids.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment