Friday, February 26, 2016

The Girl Scout Cookie Experience

So, my DD (dear daughter) is in Girl Scouts this year. It is our first time, and so far it has been a tremendous experience for her. She loves it.

Recently, we began the interesting process of selling Girl Scout cookies.

Our first event was a booth sale in front of a popular convenience store in a nearby town . . . if that is vague enough for you. My daughter is not shy and she was excited to be a sign holder near the road, announcing to the passing cars that we did, in fact, have Girl Scout cookies for sale at that location, for a limited time.

And she thoroughly enjoyed jumping up and down, waving the sign, and shouting to the world at large to "Come and get your Girl Scout cookies!!!"

I am a terrible mom. I sat in the shade, sipping iced tea, and chatting with the other moms while my daughter jumped and sweated in the sun, telling her it was a good learning experience for her.

And that's when the stories began. Apparently there was a recent article on Facebook by a Girl Scout mom from another troop in another state, talking about the fierce nature of selling cookies. I started laughing, thinking they were joking.


No one laughed with me.

I stared. Were they serious?

"Are you serious?" I asked.

"Completely."

The article likened selling Girl Scout cookies to being a small time drug dealer. And again, I started laughing. No way were they being serious.

But they were.

"Oh, just wait," they said. "Wait until you're getting calls late at night from a customer desperate for a cookie fix."

"Wait until you're getting stopped in the grocery store parking lot, asking what kind of cookies you have on you today. Any Thin Mints? Got any Samoas left?"

"Or wait until it's late at night, and you're doing cookie deals from the trunk of your car, waving other cars along like, 'nothing to see here, keep it moving'."

And they were RIGHT!

I did get a call from an angry customer, demanding to know why I hadn't contacted him about selling cookies. Granted, it was my brother and I told him to shut up and we'd get to him eventually, but still...

And I did get stopped at the bank, asking what kind of cookies I had with me that day. Of course, the ones I had were already sold and I was just delivering, but still....

And I did have to contact the troop leader and do a late night cookie deal from the trunk of her car, in front of my house, waving other cars along while we sorted through boxes of cookies to make sure everything was correct.

I had no idea Girl Scout cookies was such a cutthroat enterprise. I'm tellin' ya!!! Drug lords could learn a thing or two from the Girl Scout moms who are out there wheeling and dealing, and defending their territory from encroachers.

This year has definitely been a learning experience. Interested to see how next year will compare.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment