Thursday, February 11, 2016

Death by Donut

Good Morning.

So, in addition to being a single mom, working, being a writer, and the various activities of daily life, I have been on a quest - like 75% of the women I know - to lose weight.

I have focused on eating in moderation - because let's face it, I need chocolate to keep me sane. I have also been walking regularly, drinking a daily vitamin supplement, and trying to cut down on my sugar intake.

However, one of my sons has been sick for the last couple of days. Cough, congestion, sore throat, stuffy nose. I believe allergies to be the culprit, but they have him down to the point where he's exhausted and can't really get out of bed. So this morning he requested donuts for breakfast because he hasn't wanted to eat much of anything the last two days.



This sounded like a good idea to me. I haven't eaten a donut in a few months, so I thought . . . why not?

Got everyone in the car, off to the local bakery we go, and everyone got to pick out the donut of their choice . . . including me.

Get two children to school, Sicky and I return home, and he returns to his bed after devouring his donut in three bites (he is a junior high boy, so this is his regular eating pattern). I am more leisurely in my donut consumption, and enjoy every single greasy, sugary bite.

Until about 10 minutes later when said donut is sitting like a stone in my stomach, all that greasy goodness mocking me and threatening to return to say "Hi!".

After an hour of sipping herbal tea and resting in a semi-upright position to allow the donut and my stomach to work out their differences, I am finally able to move again without fear of the donut's messy return.

So the lesson I learned this morning was that after months of moderation, diving head first into something as dangerous and decadent as a whole donut needs to be reconsidered. Perhaps something more along the lines of a muffin, or possibly a scone, should be attempted next time.

I miss donuts, there's no doubt, but in my pursuit to be healthier I believe the sacrifice will be worth it in the end.
Especially if my stomach has anything to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment